Saturday, March 21, 2009

Taking Stress in Stride

Saturday - It's about time.

I came very close to sitting down and writing a blurb about how stressful my world was, and how obtuse my day to day had become. Then I went outside and ran. I ran without any direction, or destination - not in a Forrest Gump-esque way - just for a morning adventure. But with each step it started to shed the pent up frustrations, closeted angst, and irritations stride by stride.

So here is what I think helped me get rid of these feeling. The simple understanding that stress is universal. It's everywhere. It's in your now, it was in your past, and it's going to be in your future.  So, If these "stressors" are always going to be there - the first step must be to work on getting this understood. Seems simple right?

There is a line from some girly acoustic song "let's try to stop taking life so seriously" that blasted through my iPod mid-sweat this morning. What I really I think that I needed to hear is "Let's try to take the stress less seriously" I am thinking this because it's the reaction to stress that causes negativity right? As we have already declared that stress is a constant. The pending reaction is actually the variable that we can change. Here's my advice:  take reacting to the inevitable stress in stride. Don't let stress sneak up on you. Expect it. Live with it. Maybe even learn to embrace it.

(Or maybe it was just the need for some physical activity, and fresh air...)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment